Saturday, July 15, 2017

Instructions

I was asked for a tutorial for making this card. After trying three times to record myself making another card like this, I gave up! Perhaps I'll try again soon. For now, I'll just show a diagram of cutting and scoring, and also measurements of matting, if you want to decorate it.

This looks pretty complicated, but it's really not! Start with a piece of cardstock that is 12 inches by 5 1/2 inches. Cut two slits that are one and a half inches from each side and between the two-inch mark and the ten-inch mark. Then do your scoring. There are "hill" folds and "valley" folds. To do your "hill" folds, leave the right side of the paper up when you do your scoring. To do your "valley" folds, turn the cardstock over and score on the back side. The "hill" folds are marked by the dashed and dotted lines, and the "valley" folds are marked by dashed lines. So, start by scoring two inches in, above and below your cut lines. Move to the four inch mark and score between the two cut lines. Then move to the ten inch mark and again score above and below the cut lines. Turn your cardstock over. Score at the four inch mark above and below the cut lines. Move to the eight inch mark and score along the whole width. Then fold! You should end up with the card base that I made:)

If you want to used patterned paper like I did on my card, here is the pattern to cut. This will fit both the card front and the back, so you would need two like this. Start with a piece that is 5 3/8 x 3 7/8 inches and cut per this pattern.


If you want to cover the entire thing, you will also need pieces with these measurements.

I know these are not ideal instructions, but I hope it helps. Please feel free to ask me questions. It really helps me if you email me so that I have your address, or at least make sure I have a way to contact you. (If you "View my complete profile," you will see a link to click on to send me an email.)

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

2 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

It does look complex, but when you tackle it one small step at a time it's not so bad. Thanks for this, Lynette!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't quite tell when you first showed this card, but is it a tri-shutter card? If so, there are a lot of tutorials online already. Just do a search for "tri shutter card tutorial". There are videos and photo tutorials galore. (I thought it might save you time just to direct people to an existing tutorial rather than do one yourself. :)) Some of them I see now also call it a "Tri-fold" Shutter Card. I didn't look real closely, but I think it is probably the same type of card. I made one of these long ago and it is a fun card that looks much more complicated than it really is to make so the recipient is usually very impressed! :)